Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Luzern

I had a great time in Luzern (Lucerne) this past weekend. It was a really spur of the moment trip, but those are the best kind, aren't they?

This past Friday night we caught a train at 6:45 from Lausanne to Luzern. Jenna had booked us a room at the Hotel Traveller (or something like that), and we went straight there from the station. It wasn't exactly at 5 star hotel, but it was clean, with really, really comfy beds. The best part was our view: we had a little balcony looking out over the river. We got to our room, unpacked, and then decided to go out for a drink. We went to an English pub, and I had a pint of Strongbow (yea!), and we soon decided to call it a night.

Saturday, we woke up to snow. It was so beautiful. Big, beautiful flakes were falling, and it looked like Christmas. We got all packed up, checked out of the hotel, and made our way to the train station to store our baggage in a locker. On our way to the train station, we stopped by a Catholic church to look inside. It was really beautiful, but Brad whispered something to me that was soooo true: "It's beautiful, and in the Italian style, but it's still so Swiss austere, isn't it?" I didn't get any pictures to prove his point, because there were a lot of older people inside praying. I would have liked to go in and pray, but right when I was about to leave my bag with Jenna, Brad asked if we should get going. Oh well.

We then crossed the Chapel Bridge. I really didn't get any pictures of it, and honestly, I didn't care too much after Bertrand told me it burned in '93, and they rebuilt it and repainted it - nothing is original. It's still lovely, don't get me wrong... We then stored our baggage for the day in a locker, and headed to Starbucks to warm up and get some caffeine in our systems. We hung out there for a while, and it just felt so very Christmasy, with the red cups, Christmas music, and snow falling furiously outside. It reminded me a little bit of Minnesota, sitting at the Starbucks in Roseville (before the bridge collapse), and it made me happy. The only difference was the melange of languages around us, and seeing gorgeous old buildings and the Chapel Bridge out of the window.

We really just wandered around the whole day. It was really nice, and really cold. I found out my boots didn't do much in terms of protecting my feet from mushy snow, and my feet were soaked. So I had cold, wet feet until we could get our stuff from our locker and I could change my shoes (aka 7 hours later). I was sad and a little uncomfortable, but I tried my hardest not to complain too much, because no one likes a complainer.

We went and saw the lion carved into the rock, and it was so beautiful - I think it was my favorite part of Luzern. I love love love lions, and I think (ok I know) that's mostly due to the Chronicles of Narnia... I'm such a freak, I know. Anyway, Brad was telling us all about it, something to do with Swiss mercenaries being betrayed, so it was a memorial... I didn't really pay attention to him. Sorry Brad. My feet were too cold and wet.

We decided to have some fondue, and we found a place that looked amazing - like a beer hall. Dark wood paneling, wood beams in the ceiling, coat of arms everywhere.... but the music. Oh God, the music was awful. I honestly don't know what I was expecting, but it definitely wasn't CHER. Or cheesy piano renditions of The Beatles. But seriously, there was a lot of Cher happening in that restaurant, and it wasn't good. The fondue was good. Not the best I've had (my favorite is Bertrand's, honestly, not sucking up to my employers or anything), but still yummy and satisfying after a cold, wet day. The wine we had warmed us up, as well.

At 7 we headed back to Lausanne, and I was able to change into warm, cozy, dry socks & boots on the train (thanks Dan for sending me an awesome pair of socks!). We decided to not call it a night, and went to Brad's apartment with a few more friends joining us, and watched Iron Man, which is really a good movie. After the movie, it was very, very late, and I headed home with Jenna to spend the night at her place.

I LOVE Jenna's house. It needs some work, yes, but it's sooooo cool. It's a converted barn, and it's all wood and stone and low ceilings and vaulted ceilings and nooks and crannies. Outside it's all stone and covered in ivy, and there are roses and rosemary growing in the garden. I love it. Dad, you would love it. Anyway, we stayed up late chatting, and then slept in nice and late Sunday, and made scrambled eggs and bagels. And then we watched Cars. Which, really, is an adorable movie, and I love it. And Jenna had never seen it all the way through, so we watched it together. She liked it too. After, we took a walk around her village, which I think is quite lovely, and then we made Coconut Mud Bars, which were divine. We then had to head out to church, and thus ended a really nice weekend.

Pretty town
It was so pretty at night, so I used a block of concrete as my tripodMy traveling buddies, Brad, Paul, and JennaJenna and I in front of the lionThe lion! Dan gave me the Latin translations, but I forgot already.

All in all, it was a great weekend, and I have such a ball with my friends. I am having so much fun exploring Switzerland, and I am soooo excited for the holidays, because I'll get to travel with my favorite person in the whole world - Dan! Yea!

Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow, fellow Americans! I am going to a great big Thanksgiving with TNT (aka church small group), so it will have a bit of an international flair to it as well. It should be a blast.
À bientôt!

No comments: