Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My fellow Americans

It has been extremely interesting to watch the election, and all events preceding it, from the outside.

There is A LOT I want to say, but I'm going to refrain from writing it (mostly). As a Libertarian, a small government advocate, and Bob Barr supporter, I will leave you with these thoughts.

While I'm proud that America has elected its first African-American president, I was not an Obama supporter. Well, I support him now, because he's the president-elect, and I won't contribute to dividing the country. A lot of people assume (especially Europeans) that since I'm young, liberal in my Christianity, and fervently seek help for the poor, I must also support Obama. Sorry, I support Bob Barr.

Alexander Tytler was a 17th Century historian. He studied the rise and fall of nations and taught what is now known as Tytler's Cycle. According to Tytler, all nations go from bondage to spiritual faith, from spiritual faith to great courage, from courage to freedom, from freedom to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, and from dependence back to bondage.

Interesting. Ben Franklin really understood this concept, and he said, "when people find out they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."

President-elect Obama, please tread carefully. The nation - the world - is watching you with bated breath, and have placed a great deal of hope in you.

No comments: