Saturday, January 31, 2009

Skiing.

I know that I live in Switzerland, I know I can see the Alps from my house, I know that 15 minutes up the mountain is a perfectly good slope, but I don't care.

I don't want to learn how to ski.

At first I thought, well, I'll be living here, I should learn, it would be cool to say, "I learned how to ski in the Alps" but I totally don't care anymore.

I don't want to.

Why? I don't know. I enjoy the winter. It's not like I'm scared of the snow or the cold - I grew up in Chicago, and lived in Minneapolis for nearly 6 years - but skiing (or snowboarding) just doesn't appeal to me.

It's such a shame because I have some friends who would KILL to be in my position. Oh well.

Here are some reasons why I don't want to learn:
1. It's expensive! I know cycling is an expensive sport to start, too, but at least you don't have to pay for lift tickets each time you cycle.
2. It's dangerous! I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law - I would probably break a bone if I went skiing. Or hit a tree and die. Or ski off a cliff. And it's not like I get sick days in this job.
3. It honestly does not interest me.

I'm getting a little annoyed with everyone who tells me I have to learn (especially the people who ARGUE with me, and say, "yes, you do!"). Actually, I don't. I really don't have to learn. And if I really, really wanted to learn, I would have made it happen by now. Trust me.

That's my little rant. I've got no problems with skiers, or the idea of skiing, I just don't really want to do it myself. If I end up living in Switzerland, I will be happy to give it a try. But since I'm returning to the States in about 5 months, to flat lands, I'm not going to waste my time on it now - I'd rather go to an art museum or the symphony. Or Paris or Vienna or somewhere.

And I promise, if I change my mind, I will give it a try. But don't try and make me.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should have seen my face. I halfway think you're crazy but then I halfway think I'm crazy because I think 180 degrees from you on this subject. I spend so much money on snowboarding and that is because IT IS THE FUNNEST THING I'VE EVER DONE! (or one of them. I also know "funnest" isn't a "real" word) I have no regrets for having spent thousands of dollars on it. NONE. It is worth it for me. So if you ever want to scare yourself and crap your pants, try flying down a mountain at 50+ mph or even soaring through the air and landing successfully. If you don't want to, then go see an opera or something that won't make you crap your pants. I guess I'll understand.